CPE Requirements for Board Certifications
This page contains the mandatory CPE requirements for McAfee Institute Board Certifications. It also specifies the method of reporting by Board Certified Professionals (BCP) with McAfee Institute, who wish to keep their designation in good standing.
BCP’s are responsible for:
- Maintaining their knowledge and skills.
- Updating their knowledge and skills related to improvements and current developments in cyber crime, investigation, intelligence, & fraud standards, procedures, and techniques.
Renewal Fees: Every two years there is a $125 renewal fee to maintain your credentials in addition to meeting our CPE requirements during that time span as notated below.
CPE Biennial Requirements (Every 2 Years) for each program
- CCIE – 30 CPE Credits
- CCIP – 25 CPE Credits
- CCII – 20 CPE Credits
- SMIA – 15 CPE Credits
- CEFI – 15 CPE Credits
- CHTI – 25 CPE Credits
- CCTA – 25 CPE Credits
- CORCI – 20 CPE Credits
- CTFI – 25 CPE Credits
- WVTS – 18 CPE Credits
- CSMIE- 60 CPE Credits
- CFHI- 15 CPE Credits
CPE Reporting Requirements
Certificate holders are required to self-certify as to the completion of the required continuing education hours. It is your responsibility to assure that the CPE hours claimed conform to the guidelines established by The McAfee Institute’s Certification Board (MICB). Forms are submitted by BCPs on a Biennial (2 Year) basis and serve as signed statements that all applicable CPE requirements have been met.
BSPs may submit CPE reporting forms in McAfee Institute, eLearn Platform. The reporting deadline is December 31 of each year.
Upon request, the MICB may grant partial or complete exemption from CPE requirements for individuals when good cause exists, such as military service or personal hardship.
Each BCP should submit an appropriate CPE reporting form to The McAfee Institute, without supporting documentation, in compliance with CPE requirements. Each BCP should maintain a copy of the CPE reporting form, along with all supporting documentation, for at least three years after the records no longer apply to filed CPE reports. Records must be made available to The McAfee Institute or its designee at The McAfee Institute’s request. The records maintained by the BCP in support of the reporting form filed with The McAfee Institute should include, as appropriate, the following information:
- Title of program and/or description of content
- Dates attended
- Location of course or program
- Sponsoring organization
- Contact hours of credit as recommended by the course sponsor
- A letter, certificate, or other written independent attestation of course completion
- Documentation supporting publications, oral presentations, and committee or other participation
Qualifying CPE Activities
It is anticipated that BSPs will maintain the high standards of the profession in selecting quality educational programs to fulfill the CPE requirements.
The following general criteria are to be satisfied for a continuing education program to be accepted:
- The overriding consideration in determining whether a specific program is acceptable is that it shall be a formal program of learning which contributes directly to the professional competence of a BCP.
- Acceptable formal programs should:
- Contribute to the professional competence of participants.
- State program objectives which specify the level of knowledge the participants should have attained, or the level of competence to be demonstrated upon completing the program.
- State education or experience prerequisites, if appropriate for the program.
- Be developed by individuals qualified in the subject matter and instructional design.
- Provide program content which is current.
- Be on a professional level and related to the Common Body of Knowledge.
The following general subjects are acceptable as long as they meet other CPE program criteria:
- Law Enforcement, Investigations, Fraud
- Loss Prevention, Auditing, Inventory Control
- Intelligence, Military, DOD
- Management and communication (oral and written)
- Computer Science, IT Security, Infrastructure
- Mathematics, statistics, and quantitative applications in business
- Business Law, Legal, Courtroom
Activities other than those listed in this guidance may be deemed acceptable if the BCP can demonstrate that they contribute to professional competence. Substantiating that a particular activity qualifies as acceptable and meets the requirements is the responsibility of the BCP.
CPE credit will be awarded for whole hours only with a minimum of 50 minutes constituting one hour. As an example, 100 minutes of continuous instruction would count for two hours; however, more than 50 minutes but less than 100 minutes of continuous instruction would count for only one hour. Only class contact or acceptable self-study hours are allowable. For continuous conferences and conventions when individual segments are less than 50 minutes, the sum of the segments should be considered one total program. For example, five 30-minute presentations would equal 150 minutes and should be counted as three contact hours.
Hours are awarded for the year in which the BCP certification is earned.
A maximum of 40 CPE hours may be awarded in the education category each year.
Educational activities include:
- Professional education and development programs, such as seminars and conferences, provided by national, state and local auditing, and accounting organizations.
- Technical sessions at meetings of national, state, and local auditing accounting organizations, and chapters.
- Formal in-house training programs.
- Programs of other sponsors (industrial, professional societies, etc.).
- College or university credit and non-credit courses passed, except for those courses a BCP must take to meet the BCP examination requirement of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.
- Fifteen hours of CPE credit are awarded for each semester hour of college/university credit earned.
- Ten hours of CPE credit are awarded for each quarter hour of college/university credit earned.
- Other certification examinations passed.
- A maximum of 40 hours may be awarded in the year passed.
- 10 CPE hours are awarded for passing each part of another certification examination (for example, the CEFI, CII, CCIP, CCII, CORCI, SMIA examination).
- The organization from which you obtained your certification training (outside of McAfee Institute) should be contacted for information concerning the number of CPE hours awarded for the successful completion of their examination.
- Formal correspondence and self-study programs are relevant and includes evidence of completion.
A maximum of 25 hours may be awarded in the publications category each year. One full journal page of single-spaced print is equal to two hours of CPE credit, with the following limits on one publication:
- Books: 25 hours
- Articles: 15 hours
- Research papers: 15 hours
Contributions to publications should pertain to cyber crime, investigation, intelligence, fraud, etc. or disciplines related to the Common Body of Knowledge. Published articles or books not related directly to disciplines are acceptable if BSPs can demonstrate that these activities contribute to their professional proficiency.
The McAfee Institute’s CPE program also allows certified individuals to earn CPE hours by contributing articles to McAfee Institutes Learning Hub as well contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to propose an article.
A maximum of 10 hours may be awarded in the publications category each year. One full journal page of single-spaced print is equal to two hours of CPE credit, with the following limits on one translation:
- Books: 25 hours
- Articles: 15 hours
- Research papers: 15 hours
Translations of publications should pertain to certification domains or disciplines related to the Common Body of Knowledge, and/or the specialty examination topic outlines. Translations of published articles or books not related directly to cyber crime, investigation, intelligence, fraud, etc. are acceptable if the certified individual can demonstrate that these activities contribute to their professional proficiency.
A maximum of 25 CPE hours may be awarded in the oral presentations category each year.
The hours reported on the first presentation will be based on the presentation time, plus credit for preparation time equivalent to three times the presentation time. Subsequent presentations of the same material may be reported as presentation time only, up to a maximum of five CPE hours each year.
CPE Audit Process
On a test basis, The McAfee Institute will verify the records of BCPs and course sponsors in a manner deemed appropriate to determine compliance with the requirements outlined in this guidance. The potential penalty for submitting false information will be determined in agreement with the administrative directive, Disciplinary Policies, and Procedures.